The Best Sentence of the Day

This blog is a cut-up of a dissertation in progress. Each day, I will post my favorite sentence that I have newly scribed. Everything out of context, but suggestive. I hope.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, CA

I'm a game designer, a games researcher, and a future forecaster. I make games that give a damn. I study how games change lives. I spend a lot of my time figuring out how the games we play today shape our real-world future. And so I'm trying to make sure that a game developer wins a Nobel Prize by the year 2032. Learn more here in my bio or get my contact information on my contact page.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Best Sentence #54

I am now officially opening the comments for this post to a little guessing game. What number best sentence will I be at when I have officially finished a full draft of the dissertation? (Revisions aside for the moment.)

Anyone who guesses Best Sentence #319 or some other depressing number will be booed.

*
The game prototype required the local environment to be temporarily modified with a range of embedded sensors and a stronger WLAN. These modifications represent the project’s attempt to emulate the desired future state of ubiquitous computing. In this way, the conference room where the game was played was, in a sense, as fantastic and make-believe as the imaginary archipelago depicted on the PDA screens. It embodied a fantasy of the future of ubicomp technology.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

72.

3:13 PM  
Blogger italianesco said...

Nice sentences. Very clear.

Only one observation...

"ubiquitous computing" = "ubicomp", right?

Then why "ubiquitous computing" at the end of the first sentence and "ubicomp" at the end of the second? For variety?

Everybody has their own style. Me, I would have made it easy on myself by defining my terms, acronyms and abbreviations at the outset and sticking to them throughout (You may have. What do I know? I haven't read your 1st chapter). Consistency is not only essential to clarity but also essential to ease of writing...

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home