The Best Sentence of the Day

This blog is a cut-up of a dissertation in progress. Each day, I will post my favorite sentence that I have newly scribed. Everything out of context, but suggestive. I hope.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, CA

I'm a game designer, a games researcher, and a future forecaster. I make games that give a damn. I study how games change lives. I spend a lot of my time figuring out how the games we play today shape our real-world future. And so I'm trying to make sure that a game developer wins a Nobel Prize by the year 2032. Learn more here in my bio or get my contact information on my contact page.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Best Sentence #83

I woke up screaming last night. Yes, I had a dissertation panic attack. Kiyash slept right through it. But Meche climbed into bed and helpfully sat on my hand until I calmed down. When I finally got back to sleep, I dreamed I was rooming in some kind of a religious studies dorm in New York City with my twin sister Kelly.

The best sentence(s) below are a call-back to the IM I posted yesterday. I finally figured out what to say about Castells' cryptic closing remarks!

*

In The Rise of Network Society, Manuel Castells describes the coming culture of real virtuality as a world “where make believe is belief in the making” (375). In other words, persistent play may ultimately lead gamers to cease marking the difference between their habitual participation in sustaining an illusion and the practice of everyday life.

5 Comments:

Blogger chumly said...

Even with a spell check I can't write that well, or good or better, see. I need help. Thanks for the insights.

5:16 PM  
Blogger berna beat said...

hey, girl. i´m a beatnik writer from são paulo, brazil. you have pretty cool stuff around here, makes me wonder a lot. just hope my english was better. dig!

4:15 AM  
Blogger CCCCppppCCppp said...

J

Checked your sentences from #1. You certainly must consider a movie like "The Last Starfighter" when discussing gaming and it's relationship to wet reality vs. electronic reality. The discussion was recently further advanced in South Parks "Golden PSP " episode. One other aspect to consider is the way RPGs which begin as games transform into online communities via their chatrooms in such RPG gaming sites as "The Kingdom of Loathing". Lastly, I would wonder if any statements regarding active gamers vs. "lurkers" or in wet reality; participants vs. spectators have occured to you. Good luck with your disertation. Is life any more than a game with everchanging rules?

11:05 AM  
Blogger pilgrimchick said...

Ah, yes the "dissertation freak out"; I know it well, but do not have anyone or anything sleeping with me to alleviate the symptoms thereof.

11:08 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Thank you so much for the great article. It’s informative. If you would like great articles for your blog you can contact us. We assist with
Web Articles
Academic Research
Dissertation Writing
Essay Writing
Proofreading
And many more!
Follow us at Mzansi Writers

8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home