The Best Sentence of the Day

This blog is a cut-up of a dissertation in progress. Each day, I will post my favorite sentence that I have newly scribed. Everything out of context, but suggestive. I hope.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, CA

I'm a game designer, a games researcher, and a future forecaster. I make games that give a damn. I study how games change lives. I spend a lot of my time figuring out how the games we play today shape our real-world future. And so I'm trying to make sure that a game developer wins a Nobel Prize by the year 2032. Learn more here in my bio or get my contact information on my contact page.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Best Sentence #82

A brief observation before my best sentence of today.

As I write a chapter on the so-called "dangerously" immersive qualities of alternate reality games, I am reminded of two of the opening messages of The Beast:

"Get out. Deep Water. You would drown."
"Get out. Dark Dream. You will not wake up."

I just want to say that I think perhaps the same warnings should be delivered to graduate students embarking on the dissertation writing process. It sometimes feels as if I am in a fog of text from which I will never wake up.

*

It was a decidedly dark introduction to the game, one that portended a potentially dangerous level of immersion through its imagery of deep sleep, water, and death.

8 Comments:

Blogger lattégirl said...

In this, my second visit (you might want to thank the folks at Blogger for keeping you up front on their list), I still won't debate, but I would, as an editor, rethink the use of the word "dark" twice. Just sayin'.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Jane said...

Oh yeah, you're totally right. :) I should mention that when I post these sentences, they're pretty much always first drafts, with nothing line edited for prettiness yet. Lemme see if I can fix that now.

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. my brain hurts

5:46 PM  
Blogger 'Mela said...

No matter how clever the writing, if it is not easily seen, what is the point?
I 'd love to read your stuff, but your color choice for text makes it invisible...

10:51 PM  
Blogger Off the Grid said...

Meh. I once read a sentence that gave me a papercut while turning the page in anticipation of the object and punctuation.

7:19 AM  
Blogger Jane said...

Daniel, good point, of course that's something I say elswhere in this section. You might say that my sentence here is ironic itself-- I am to some degree satirizing the hysteria ("players are losing the ability to tell reality from the game) that has emerged around these kinds of games.

8:08 AM  
Anonymous Dissertation Writing said...

Nicely post. It's indeed an art to stop new visitors with your attractive writing style. Truly impressive and nice information. Thanks for sharing.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Thank you so much for the great article. It’s informative. If you would like great articles for your blog you can contact us. We assist with
Web Articles
Academic Research
Dissertation Writing
Essay Writing
Proofreading
And many more!
Follow us at Mzansi Writers

8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home