The Best Sentence of the Day

This blog is a cut-up of a dissertation in progress. Each day, I will post my favorite sentence that I have newly scribed. Everything out of context, but suggestive. I hope.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, CA

I'm a game designer, a games researcher, and a future forecaster. I make games that give a damn. I study how games change lives. I spend a lot of my time figuring out how the games we play today shape our real-world future. And so I'm trying to make sure that a game developer wins a Nobel Prize by the year 2032. Learn more here in my bio or get my contact information on my contact page.

Friday, June 09, 2006

Best Sentence #77

Instead of a sentence today, I'll post the title of my new Chapter 6. I'm still finishing Chapter 5, but I realized 20+ pages of what I thought belonged in Chapter 5 actually needs to be pushed. So I opened up a new file and named it!

CHAPTER SIX

Dangerous Mimesis:
Simulation and Dissimulation in Ubiquitous Games

5 Comments:

Blogger Tyler said...

Wonderful idea for a blog.

Wonderful "sentence" too, as it were.

8:43 PM  
Blogger Jacqui Graham said...

The link to Avant Game does not work.

6:25 AM  
Blogger ODB said...

I like reading quotes, a page I have found to my liking is

the strong words section over at www.t-nation.com

8:19 AM  
Blogger The Dandelion Tamer said...

Facinating sentence...life. Kudos to you for such an unusual (in my little world) path.

This sentence ties into how I feel about culture today. My beau and I went dancing a month ago. We are children of the late eighties/early nineties. What this means in a "clubbing" paradigm is that, when we were out dancing and drinking then, people actually made fools of themselves; laughed, started coversations with strangers--strangers who didn't look or act like them, even! What we experienced last month felt like we were in the Matrix, and everyone else was either two-dimensional, inside an Abercrombie and Fitch ad, or, paradoxically, icy-sexually alert. As if they are posing and waiting for some paparazzi to take their picture?? Maybe they are just really, really hungry?? Really bad vibe: hostile, angry, hollow...
So, your sentence made me think about cultural symbols and systems, which are totally artificial--not just like "Look how fake they are!" but, artificial as in a facade, a farse: a house of toothpicks. You get my direction, I hope.
The way you structured sentence #77 is very stimulating- thank you for giving me a granola bar sentence instead of the average rice cake sentences so prevalent these days.

10:52 AM  
Blogger Jenny Rebel said...

This is a very profound statement. For when you are naked you are truth personified.

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home