The Best Sentence of the Day

This blog is a cut-up of a dissertation in progress. Each day, I will post my favorite sentence that I have newly scribed. Everything out of context, but suggestive. I hope.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, CA

I'm a game designer, a games researcher, and a future forecaster. I make games that give a damn. I study how games change lives. I spend a lot of my time figuring out how the games we play today shape our real-world future. And so I'm trying to make sure that a game developer wins a Nobel Prize by the year 2032. Learn more here in my bio or get my contact information on my contact page.

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Best Sentence #30

The problem with writing about digital games and game studies is that new papers and new games keep popping up every damn day! Everytime I start to write something, a new relevant finding or example falls into my lap. GRRRR. I may have to start feigning ignorance soon and ignore it all.

In the meantime, Sunday bonus of 3 best sentences, strung together, inspired by one such damn new paper in a damn new journal.

In the inaugural issue of the Games and Culture journal, games ethnographer Tom Boellstorff observes: “The information age has, under our noses, become the gaming age. It appears likely that gaming and its associated notion of play may become a master metaphor for a range of human social relations, with the potential for new freedoms and new creativity as well as new oppressions and inequality” (29). Here, then, I aim to reflect the fullness of that range, by presenting three such master metaphors generated by three different approaches to both the problem and the potential of play in the era of ubiquitous computing. These metaphors we can characterize as colonization through gameplay (the ubicomp games); disruption through gameplay (the pervasive games); and activation through gameplay (the ubiquitous games).

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This morning I was going to ask you about the meaning of Boellstorff´s quote -- you know, all that about new freedoms and new oppressions -- because it sounded like he was talking about sadomasochism and/or D/s. (Can those be thought of as a form of gaming?) Then I read your other blog´s post and thought: Hmm. Should I ask and waste her time discussing with me a probably non-important issue or just say Go, Jane and leave? I finally decided to do both, but keep in mind that you don´t have to explain the quote (i.e., put an example of what the guy means with it) if you don´t have the time. Thanks. Oh. Huh. Go, Jane!

9:39 AM  
Blogger Patrick said...

I like where this is going, anytime things get split into threes my ears perk up.

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: struggle to remain current, this is when I'm sort of glad I'm working on a small, obscure corner of long-dead things. It's less immediately exciting, but I know I have electronic or hard copy of 80+% of everything written on or near my pet texts. Meh. Tradeoffs.

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home